Call him K2P2.  Thanks for the awesome suggestion, Sillylittlelady!  There’s a beer up here in Seattle with your name on it!  And thank you everyone else for joining in and suggesting some really creative names!  I love how easily knitting and sci-fi get along; knitting truly is for nerds (and damn proud of it!).

As a recent transplant to Earth, K2P2 enjoys crunching numbers, knitting continental style, drinking beer, and charting trajectories of planets near and far away as well as charting patterns for knitting.  He’s looking for a free-spirited fembot that enjoys hand-knit accessories, drinking red wine, and can show him how to spin his own yarn.  He totally made me write that.

I’ve been struggling with a design for J’s beanie (it shames me to tell you that I’ve had the yarn in my hands for well over a year now).  The green is so neon, that I’m afraid it might be radioactive, but I think that with the right design, the purple will help subdue the intensity.  I originally was planning to start things off with a simple 2×2 rib and then, using vikkel braids, transition into reverse stockinette with three cables (2 purple, 1 green) equally spaced apart.  But I really hated how the transition to the reverse stockinette looked and how the green cable just appears out of nowhere.  So, I decided to forgo the ribbing altogether and I just finished a little swatch using seed stitch as the background.  Of course, I would start with the green cable at the bottom edge.  I might add an applied i-cord or crochet a single stitch around the edging when it’s all said and done.

You may be wondering how I’m going to deal with the color change in the round.  I’m wondering the exact same thing myself.  I really don’t feel like carrying the green yarn all the way around, and I don’t want to knit it flat, but I’m not really sure how to do intarsia in the round.  I read a few different techniques about it, so I guess I’ll just have to roll up my sleeves and gopher it.

But I kind of put that project on hold this weekend for selfish reasons.  The camera straps have spurred me into a sewing frenzy!  I even moved the kitchen table into the spare bedroom (now craft room) to make cutting and ironing easier on my back.  J is a really good sport about my craft-induced neurotic behavior.  He even helped me move the table into the room.  Mighty good man.  The end result is this fabulous messenger bag (tutorial here):

I still can’t sew in a straight line, my zipper mounting skills could use a little help and the fabric still puckers up from time to time.  Despite all that, I love this bag!  All the fabric was on sale at Joann’s and the green lining even came from the scrap bin.  The hardware for the straps came from some amazing Goodwill finds: a lovely red purse with racing stripes and a plain, yet classy, black belt.  An added plus was that the purse was half price because it was red tag Sunday at the goodwill.  Can’t beat that kind of bargain.

I modified the tutorial’s pattern a wee bit.  I made the bag a little narrower, I added piping (which isn’t perfect, but I made it myself!) along the front flap, and turned the inside slip pocket into a zipper pocket.  I got to improve on my interface application skills, I learned how to make piping, and I also learned that different fabrics require different needle sizes.  Also, you will all be pleased to know that no needles were harmed in the making of this bag!!

Advertisements